Pradhan Mantri Aawas Yojna or PMAY is a housing scheme launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The scheme was launched on 25th June 2015 with the motive to provide ‘Affordable Housing To All by 2022’. This scheme seeks to provide a pucca accommodation to the Economically Weaker Section (EWS), Lower Income Group (LIG), and Middle Income Group (MIG). Under this scheme, people belonging to EWS, LIG, and MIG category can get a home loan at subsidy interest rate of 3% to 9%.The government has invested more than INR 23,000 crores for this scheme and additional funds are being allocated to speed up the pace of the housing scheme.
In simpler words, PMAY Scheme will enable the urban and rural residents of India to have a permanent roof over their head. Within the seven-year tenure of this scheme, more than 2 crore houses will be gifted to the financially weaker citizens of India. The government has planned to accomplish the target of constructing one crore housing units by the end of March 2019, out of which, 51 lakh houses would be ready by March 2018.
Understanding PMAY is a must for all house owners before applying for it. To understand PMAY better, it is necessary to throw the light on the pillars on which this scheme stands. PMAY has four pillars and they’re known as:-
- In Setu Rehabilitation
- In Setu Rehabilitation is for the citizens that belong to slums
- Beneficiary Led Construction (BLC)
- BLC is applicable to those citizens that own a piece of land and are interested in construction
- Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS)
- The citizens that can afford to purchase a property or change an existing property select CLSS. By selecting CLSS, they get a subsidy on the home loan.
- Affordable Housing In Partnership
- Affordable Housing in Partnership is applicable for those citizens who neither have a land for the construction of a property nor can afford a home loan.
The Eligibility Criteria For PMAY Scheme
The Socio-Economic and Caste Census of 2011 is used by the government to identify, select, and track the beneficiaries’ list of PMAY scheme. This will serve as an apprentice in maintaining the transparency in the project. Only the deserving and eligible applicants get the benefits will be assured by this criteria. Take a look at it:
- Any household earning a total annual income of INR 6 lakh-18 lakh is eligible to apply for PMAY scheme
- The beneficiary can buy/construct a new house under this initiative, however, they should not own a pucca house anywhere in the country
- Indian citizens living in a rented accommodation are eligible as well to apply for PMAY
- Indian women, including singles and widows who not have any other source of income, can apply for PMAY scheme
- SC/ST/OBC of the society are also eligible to avail the benefits of this scheme
- Transgenders, identified as LIG, can apply for PMAY
Tracking The Status of PMAY Application
Numerous applicants from all over the country have already applied for PMAY scheme. Thus, it becomes essential for them to keep a track of the progress in the status of the application. The procedure of tracking the current status of your application is effortless. By following the steps mentioned below, you can view the progress of your PMAY application. And here is the quick look at it:
- Visit the official website of PMAY- www.pmaymis.gov.in
- Choose the option of ‘Citizen Assessment’
- Click on ‘track your assessment’ option
- Selecting this option will redirect you to another page. Two different options will pop up for checking the assessment- 1. By name, father’s name & ID type 2. By Assessment ID
- Choose any one of the two options and enter the details like the state, city, district, father’s name, ID type (voter ID, PAN card, Aadhaar card, driving license, passport), corresponding ID number, and mobile number
- The ID assessment number along with the mobile number can also be entered to check the status of the application
- The toll-free numbers of National Housing Bank (1800-11-3377/88) and Housing and Urban Development Corporation (1800-11-6163) can be dialed for any assistance
The initiative of providing a pucca house, led by the Modi government, is a huge step towards a better India. Many citizens of the country are getting benefits from this scheme. The status of the application is updated on a regular basis and can be tracked online. All you need to do is to enter the right information to check the progress of your application.